Welcome to Bugbrooke Village
The village, named in the Domesday Book of 1086 AD as "Buchebroc", is situated on the Hoarestone Brook, which flows through the village from south to north. The name of the stream is supposed to be a corruption of Horse-stone, as an old packhorse route crossed the brook by a simple slab bridge just outside the village. When the stream was widened in the 1970s, the last of the mediaeval slabs was damaged beyond repair, but the pillars are still intact.
The brook meets the River Nene near Bugbrooke Mill. The first mill on the site was established in 800 AD and by the time of the Domesday Book was the third-highest rated mill in England. It is now the site of Heygate's flour mill, whose large central tower can be seen for several miles around. Heygate's trucks, with their distinctive maroon markings, can frequently be seen rumbling along Bugbrooke's main road.